Monday, January 25, 2010

Crash Course in Classroom Management

So today, I was teaching 3 classes by myself. Mr. Jenkins has Jury Duty, bless his heart. And Mr. Williams was on a trip with most of the marching band for a benefit concert in Miami. Needless to say, it was a crash course in classroom managment.

The first two periods were left over instrumentation from two jazz bands. Without a complete band, we went into sectionals. Saxophones did amazingly, trumpets were lazy, but I made them work on something, and rhythm section was getting bored because they played through everything. So I combined the guitars, bass, and set players and we had a "jam" session- I know its not very educational, but I at least wanted them to play their instruments. At least they had a chance to be creative.

The next band class was horrrrriiiblllleee with talking. A tuba girl was not happy with me singling her out and telling her to be quiet. I got a look the whole class, but at least she was quiet. I had to yell at them multiple times. Afterwards, I went into the office, and Mr. Zeruth (resprentitive from All-County Music Store) was sitting there. I told him they had behaved horibly and he pointed out that they actually were listening very well for me being an intern. He said I looked very much like a teacher. I guess my expectations of behavior in rehearsal are still stuck in college mode- the mode where if you so much as sneeze in rehearsal, you will be kicked out and fail the class...even though this is a high expectation, I still think they can achieve it, and honestly, Im not going to expect any less.

It truely was a crash course in classroom management. Lots of yelling, lots of lecturing....I have to come up with a better way to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment